Hot Interview With Monta at First Practise

California – The Warriors opened their 2011-12 training camp on Friday, which meant it was the first time that new coach Mark Jackson had a chance to coach Monta Ellis.

After the practice, Ellis sat down for an interview with the media.

Question: Was the first practice intense?
Monta Ellis: It’s kind of crazy right now but the good thing is we’re back playing basketball. I love the environment, love the changes that have been made. The energy that Mark Jackson brings and all the assistant coaches bring has been great.  All the players have great mindsets  and it’s a new beginning.


Question: What has Mark Jackson’s message to you been?
Monta Ellis: Just that it’s going to be a big change and defense is going to be the focus point no matter what. We’ve got to find a way to win and play together as a unit.

Question: You were involved in trade rumors. Did you hear any of them?
Monta Ellis: I really didn’t listen. Every year I go through that. It was another summer of rumors. I’m here now just putting all that behind me.

Question: What was Jackson’s practice like?
Monta Ellis: That’s all it was. We did a couple of offensive things, but more defense than anything. You know, talking and getting to know each other.

Question: What has been Andris Biedrins’ issue the past couple of years and do you think he can get back to the player he once was?
Monta Ellis: I really don’t know what it was the past few years, but this year it’s a new Andris. I think him having a family changed him. He looks like and feels like the old Andris so time will  tell. I hope this carries on.

Question: With Mark’s experience as a point guard, how does that help you and Stephen Curry?
Monta Ellis: It’s going to be a great season. He brings a lot to both of us as far as trying to lead a team, run a team and be more vocal. Landing a high-profile point guard as a coach is a great thing for us.

Question: And what about the fact that he stepped into practice today and did some things with you players during drills?
Monta Ellis: I don’t know if that was a good thing or bad. It’s going to be fun. He’s showing us that it’s going to be different around here and that’s a positive.

Question: Mark’s been vocal about having you on the team. Has he told you that?
Monta Ellis: He told me. I’m a Golden State Warrior until they move me. I don’t get into all that. I let them upstairs handle that and I handle the basketball court. I want to be a Golden State Warrior. I love it here and I want to play basketball.

Question: Mark wants the team to be more vocal. Does that come naturally to this team?
Monta Ellis: I think we all have it in us. We’ve just got to trust one another. That’s what he’s bringing, to talk more and be as one. And not everybody on their own little island.

Question: How tired are you of hearing about new beginnings?
Monta Ellis: It does get old but it’s a business. I’ve been around for seven years and every year is something new. You’ve got to adjust and look at the positives. It is a new beginning.

Question: If Mark Jackson stresses defense and you guys buy in, can you still be as effective offensively?
Monta Ellis: We’ll have to. We have to find a way. That’s the thing he said. No matter what we have to leave it out on the court and we’re going to have to find a way to win. No matter what it takes. If it takes playing offense on one end and defense on the other, then that just means you have to work harder.

Question: You guys did lead the league in steals last year.
Monta Ellis: You can’t have two people out there and the other three just lagging around. That’s the biggest thing. He’s trying to get everyone on the same page and work together as a unit. Don’t leave anyone on an island. Once we get that concept down, we’ll be all right.

Question: Do you think you’ll run the same offense?
Monta Ellis: No. We haven’t talked about offense yet. Mostly defense, but I don’t think it’s going to be the same.

Question: What was this Mark Jackson practice like?
Monta Ellis: We’ve been in tougher practices than this. When Don Nelson first got here it was rougher than this. But it’s a great sign that we’re heading in the right direction.

Question: Seemed like there was a lot of rah-rah.
Monta Ellis: No. Go back. Like I said we’ve had practices like this. We’ve just got to be consistent with it.

Question: Do you consider the Warriors your team?
Monta Ellis: It’s Joe Lacob’s team. I’m just a player that’s out here trying to do whatever it takes to get over the hump. We’re not going to get into whose team it is. It’s all of our team.

Question: What about if Jackson asks you to take fewer shots?
Monta Ellis: It doesn’t matter to me. At this point in my career I want to win.


www.csnbayarea.com

Post a Comment

0 Comments